How to Write a Thesis
Under this guide, all the phases of the dissertation writing are being included such as planning, researching and writing the thesis. Every section of this particular guide will encompass certain explicit part of the dissertation and will offer tips to make it painless and unstressed experience as much as possible.
Planning the Thesis Structure
Prior setting the structure of the thesis, it is very much essential to comprehend what the thesis is all about and for what reason it is being undertaken. Talking in regards with the general definition of the thesis, it is a proposition that should be proven or argued on a specific point or subject area. In other words, it can also be termed as a dissertation that is done as part of a degree programme. Most of the students are being dreaded by such type of lengthy assignments because of the amount of research and writing being involved. Further, the under-graduate and postgraduate thesis are not exactly the same. The major difference lies in the length of the research, sophistication of data accumulation, depth of the research, analysis techniques and research methodology. For example, throwing light on the PhD thesis, it can be very complex, which might encompass numerous arguments, research findings and hundreds of pages. Some of them might also require some sort of presentations on the basis of their degree and level. On the other hand, it is not necessary that a graduate thesis will include such long pages, methodology and analysis techniques.
For planning thesis structure, the first thing to plan a starting point. It can be any statement or simple a hypothesis that will prove what the research will attempt to prove. The structure of the thesis is being finalized as per the academic institution or University; however some of the suggestions being listed below are being used in maximum assignments. The structure of the thesis typically has the below mentioned components:
- Title Page: It includes the title of the thesis, name of the researcher, department, degree, date and a thesis presentation statement.
- Abstract: : It is nothing but a section, which offers a brief summary of the thesis. It also encompasses an overview of the aims, research methodologies, objectives as well as conclusions.
- Table of Contents: It offers a list of various chapters of the thesis.
- Acknowledgements: Under this, all those who have some way or the other helped the researcher in getting the thesis to complete are being acknowledged.
- Chapters: This will comprise numerous chapters such as an introduction, literature review, research methodology, findings and analysis, conclusions and recommendation.
- Bibliography/References: This will offer a detailed list of sources and materials being researched used and read by the researcher in the particular study.
- Appendices: This is generally not included in each and every thesis. It generally includes the other information which is in detailed form and cannot be included in the main body of the thesis.
Each and every chapter in the body of the thesis is again divided into various sections and sub-sections. All these further help the readers in various ways such as readability, flow as well as organization. Furthermore, all the chapters also serve as roadmaps which help the reader to move logically into the thesis. They can also be able to determine that the thesis, research as well as the conclusions is in a coherent and readable manner. The chapters are categorized in various sub-sections and sections in a specified format so that the readers can quickly find out the needed information. On the whole, it is quite imperative to make sure that the structure provides essential logic that the particular thesis is trying to accomplish.
Researching Thesis Material
Research materials are nothing but the heart of thesis. All the materials being searched and investigated are included in the literature review chapter of thesis. Generally, there are some rules that need to be followed while accumulating the research materials for the study and some of these are discussed underneath:
- Considerable amount of time should be spent on accumulating the desired information by researching existing literatures of a particular subject. Researcher should not waste their valuable time on peripheral information related to a general topic.
- It is also important to pay attention on selective theoretical concepts that are related to the thesis aims and objectives.
- Efforts should be made in searching the research methodologies and approaches of various literatures and then the best suitable methods should be selected.
- A proper time schedule is also required to be prepared, as often most of the researchers deviates from their track and loss their precious time. A schedule for carrying out each and every activity such as interview, field review, and secondary data collection for investigating the depth of the research should be made.
- Last but not the least, it is crucial to take the notes and full reference information should be added to each set of notes so that they match to a source. This will save researcher’s time.
Creating a Thesis Style and Form
It is very much essential that thesis being prepared should be meaningful such that the readers can follow along. Through it was a roadmap which can be steered in order to reach the destination. It is imperative for the researcher to make thesis attractive and presentable so that it can convince the readers and engage them by the relevant information. This can be done by adopting some style and forms of thesis writing.
- The researcher is required to ensure that each and every chapter offers a reason as why it has been included in a particular research study. Reason should also be given as why such type of research methods is suitable in the thesis.
- In order to build the proof of thesis, an impression over the evolution is also required. Each and everything being taken should be matched back with the research aims and objectives, even if some things are repeating again in upcoming chapters. Through this, the readers will be able to reinforce it and this will support them.
- For the purpose of creating a compelling argument, it is necessary to make use of organization of words. In addition to this, the writing should also express the things being found in the research. In other words, all the findings should be tied to a real world and that is why the researcher should keep the language simple.
- Other than this, necessary efforts should be made to reengage the reader by making the thesis visual in nature. In this regards, various graphs, pictures, charts, tables, photographs and illustration can be used in order to enhance what the researcher is trying to explain with his or her thesis. For presenting any quantitative data, tables, graphs and pictures can be used throughout the thesis, as it is often easier to comprehend as compared to read a commentary. Furthermore, subheads can also be used for presenting the numbers and other information in a proper manner. If tables, graphs and many other visuals are being used in the thesis than the researcher is also required to create a list of tables and graphs at the front of the thesis just after the table of content page.
- Researcher should not spend his or her valuable time in other unproductive things rather time should be left for writing as well as revising the whole thesis. Through this, grammar and spellings errors can be traced out easily and further, will help in ensuring the logical flow of the writing.
- Taking an advice from the professors, tutors, mentor, colleague and advisor is always considered as good. Because all these personnel might see the things that a researcher cannot focus upon. Through this, the investigator will be able to make improvements if it is required.
Getting Thesis Help
There are some students, who, after getting so much help from the professors, tutors and mentors struggles to complete their thesis. In this regards, there is a help available for those students and candidates which delivers a team of professionals, researchers as well as writers who can render a supporting hand in organizing the research topic of the students, offers them a particular direction and assist them in maintaining a logical structure. In addition to this, these professionals will also help the students in proof-reading their documents and provides editorial recommendations, which will improve the grade of the thesis.